Sunday, March 11, 2012

Monogram Fun Day

Yesterday, my husband and I had some friends over for the day. The boys watched all the Aliens movies (lame!) while Maggie and I did some crafting! Maggie has an amazing talent for baking and decorating cakes and cupcakes! You can find some of her  Sweet Maggie May creations here. We looked on Pinterest for some inspiration and then headed to my local craft store for the supplies. We both decided on doing something monogramed for our last names!

Monogramed Letter Wreath

What you need:
Wooden letter
Jute (hemp, yarn, or twine would work fine too)
Hot glue and glue gun
Ribbon and buttons

I started this project with some left over hemp I had laying around but a when I ran out and went to the craft store to get more I cam across jute and thought it would be easier to maneuver and look better (and its cheaper - $2.99 for one roll and I didn't even use it all!) This project does take some planning out as to how to go about wrapping it. Each letter will bring it's own challenges, but with some planning it works great! Luckily hot glue comes off fairly easily so any mistake is easy to fix!

Here are some pictures of the progression. The close up shows how I did the areas where I could not wrap it around I would simply put a dab of glue and wind it back and forth to around the back where I would do the same.

For the flowers I used two types of ribbon and created loops around in a circle and glued in place when needed. I then used a button for middle. I then used the leftover ribbon and glued it in place on the back for hanging.




 Maggie's Monogramed Sign

What you will need:
Wooden letter
Frame
Spray paint or acrylic paint
Scrapbook paper
Modge Podge
Vinyl letters
Wood glue

First you will spray paint the letter and frame whatever color you want. Then trace out the letter on the scrapbook paper and Modge Podge that to the letter. (Note:  with modge podge you only need a thin layer for it to work. Too much will take a long time to dry and might not be even coated.) We then did modge podge over the whole frame before we glued the letter down to have the finish the same. We used wood glue to glue the letter to the frame, to be sure it would stay in place.


We had our vinyl letter cut at the craft store to the font, size, and color we wanted. After the vinyl letter were in place, we did another layer of Modge Podge over them again.

What a great way to spend a Saturday with good friends and crafting! Love it!

1 comment:

  1. It was such a fun day! Thanks for helping me out with a DIY project! :)

    ReplyDelete