Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Simple Infinity Scarf

My mother growing up made me tons of clothes and passed down some of her skills. I have a very basic knowledge but it is enough to get me along. When I got my first sewing machine, my mom gave me a bunch of fabrics to practice with. Some are older from the 80's or 90's which ins great because now they are back in style! So today I will show you how I came up with a simple infinity scarf!

First, I picked a fabric and folded it in half to be 22" in width and cut it to be 35" long as seen here.
Next, you will sew along the long edge with the fabric inside out to make a big tube. This is not the hole where your head will go. You are now going to sew together the two openings on either end. Gather both ends and measure to see if you like the length. If not, cut off a little at a time until it is the desire length. I found 35" to be good for me. Here is where it may get hard to explain. Turn the tube right side out so that your hem is now on the inside. Take each end of your hem and bring those together (see below).
Bring together the hems with the right side of the fabric on the inside of your enclosure. Make sure you are sewing the inside of your fabric and not the outside before you begin! Sew all the way around except for about 3 inches. This is so you can pull the inside out so your right side is exposed. Below I am showing the amount of space I left to pull the inside out.
Next pull the inside out!
Now tuck the unfinished ends in and sew the remaining 3 inches.
All done! I'm kind of in love and now want to make some in all kinds of fabric! I may take on copying the American Apparel circle scarf! This pattern would totally work for it! Now I just need to find the perfect jersey fabric! Happy Crafting!








1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea! Can't wait to try it out.

    Sincerely, your newest fan, Rebekah.

    p.s. keep up the awesome posts!

    ReplyDelete