Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Vintage to Modern Side Table

So begins one of my summer loves....Garage Sales!  Some of the greatest treasures are found here! Here is my first feature of a lovely garage sale find. I picked this table up for 5 bucks! I saw so much potential...do you? Well you should!


My first order of business was redoing the edging (there was a part broken off in the back). So I went to Lowes and picked up a piece of decorative molding for $8. I only needed one for the whole table. I took a hand saw and cut it down to size on a slant to fit the edges. I then nailed them in place. Because I am no carpenter, I had a few areas that had spaces on the edges so I used a product called Plastic Wood. Worked great and unless you are super anal you wouldn't notice my mistakes! 


After this I simply spray painted the entire thing with matte black spray paint. It took a couple coats to get it completely even. To add some dimension I took some metallic acrylic paint and watered it down and painted it on to the top and edge of the top part of the table just to add some dimension. Lastly, I did 3-4 coats of polyurethane clear gloss on the top to make it durable and give it a nice finish. It almost looks like glass on top! Here is my finished product! Next on my list is to refinish my chairs to the side of the table to match and recover them in a similar modern fabric. This is how you  can take an ugly vintage gold table  and turn it into chic and modern, for about $15!



I hope you all had a wonderful Easter!!! 

1 comment: